Big names such as Lee Mack and Jo Brand – who feature heavily on the BBC in various shows – are known by many students to be Brunel alumni. However, there are so many incredible and noteworthy alumni from Brunel that people just don’t know about.
We’ve picked just 10 from the long list, spanning from politics to modelling and featuring OBEs and Olympic medals:
- John McDonnell - John Martin McDonnell is a British Labour Party politician who was appointed the Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer in September 2015
- Archie Panjabi - Archana "Archie" Panjabi is a British actress, best known for her role as Kalinda Sharma on The Good Wife
- Patricia Hodge - Patricia Ann Hodge is an English actress, who made her West End debut in 1972 and has received two Olivier Award nominations for Best Actress in a Musical, before winning the 2000 Olivier Award for Best Supporting Actress for her role in the play Money. From 2009 to 2015, she starred in the BBC sitcom Miranda
- Lucy Verasamy - Lucy Verasamy is an English weather forecaster, currently employed by ITV Weather
- James Cracknell - James Edward Cracknell, OBE is a British athlete, rowing champion and double Olympic gold medalist and prospective Conservative Party politician
- Sophie McShera - Sophie McShera is an English actress. She is known for playing 6th Form student Ros McCain in the fifth series of BBC drama Waterloo Road and for playing kitchen maid Daisy Robinson in Golden Globe winning period drama Downton Abbey
- Joe Worsley - Joseph Paul Richard Worsley MBE is a retired English rugby union player who played flanker for Wasps and England
- Oreke Mosheshe - Oreke has appeared in several BBC, ITV and Channel 4 productions. She has modelled for some of the world's leading fashion houses including Matthew Williamson, Vivienne Westwood, Armani and Joseph. She was the face of T-Mobile Web 'n' Walk campaign and has starred in the international Star beer campaign. Oreke can be seen in several commercials across the world ranging from high fashion to playing a young mum in the new Huggies international campaign
- Pekka Sauri - Pekka Markus Sauri is a Finnish psychologist and a Green League politician. He is currently the deputy mayor of Finland's capital city, Helsinki
- Perri Shakes-Drayton - Peirresha Alexandra Shakes-Drayton is a British track and field athlete who competes in the 400 metres hurdles and the 400 metres sprint.