The much awaited inaugural match of the 2014/15 season ended disappointingly for Brunel as the men’s football first team lost 3-1 to Portsmouth in a well contested game.
Brunel started promisingly, seeing most of the ball in Portsmouth’s half and creating a few chances, one of which we capitalized on as Tré Mitford latched onto a defence-splitting through ball to slot it away, making it 1-0. Portsmouth equalized quickly, however, with an excellent strike out of the blue buried in the corner of Brunel’s goal. Scores were level.
Brunel went forward on the counter after a Portsmouth corner went poorly, but were unable to capitalize, before Portsmouth countered themselves, speeding down the pitch and making it 2-1.
Brunel then started to look shaky at the back, and Portsmouth began to see a lot more of the ball, working it well and keeping their shape. They came close frequently, and it could have been 3-1 if not for some last ditch defending by Brunel. Portsmouth eventually found their third goal with a good break and a better finish, making a mountain for Brunel to overcome.
The match seemed to settle into a pattern for a while, with the battle very much being fought in midfield, as Portsmouth kept up a ravaging intensity until the half time whistle blew.
At the start of the second half, tensions were high; the referee had to stop play a couple of times to talk to the player and calm them down. Brunel were beginning to switch gears but Portsmouth were not backing down, frustrating the home team. This continued for a while, as Brunel made increasingly more chances but were unable to finish.
Portsmouth settled into a rhythm with good passing but again were unable to find the goal. As the half progressed, they found themselves in Brunel’s half often, putting pressure on the Brunel defence. As the match wore on, Brunel began to create chances again, finally driving Portsmouth back into their own half.
There was a golden chance to make it 3-2, as Tré found himself through one on one against the goal keeper, but the keeper saved the first shot. The rebound landed at Tré’s feet, but he sent it wide of the open goal, summing up Brunel’s afternoon.
The final whistle blew, and Brunel were resigned to defeat in the first game of the season.